Monday, February 18, 2008

V-Day (belated)

I was watching the Today show on Valentine's Day. Jane Fonda and Eve Ensler were on to discuss the Vagina Monologues, the performance Ensler wrote about women, vaginas, domestic violence, etc. I have yet to see a performance, but I hear it is very good. They were discussing how they are having a huge performance of VM at the Superdome in New Orleans in April to "take back the Superdome". They want to highlight all the need that still exists in NO. And then they proceeded to call New Orleans "The Vagina of America". They even went so far as to say it was wet down there. I kid you not. Look, I am all for vaginal education, women being comfortable with their bodies, discussion of domestic violence topics and how to get out. I am all supportive of women's rights, discussion of health topics, prevention of STDs, etc. But, I gotta admit, calling entire cities "vagina" went a little too far for me. Too much?
Too much.

1 comment:

Randi said...

Did she call N.O. a "vag?"