Thursday, April 22, 2010

We're Engaged!


It's been a whirlwind week, that's for sure. So many things going on and so many emotions. I'm not sure I've taken it all in yet. Alex and I got engaged last night. I now have a fiance. I am a fiancee. How odd. Hasn't really sunk in yet. In case you'd like to know, here's the story.
I got home last night soaked from the rain and not having an umbrella. Alex had the kettle on for me so I got into my sweats and had a cup of tea and just sat for a bit. Alex suggested wine and pizza for dinner, so I changed back into my regular clothes and we headed out to the liquor store and the pizza joint. As we got to the pizza place, Alex stopped me and said something to the effect of, "We've been going here for a really long time, right?". I turned back to him and he had a ring in a box and he asked me to marry him. Not down on one knee, just having a conversation. It was over in a flash. I was giggly and also sad and weepy. He was all proud. It was super cute. We got our pizza and went home and called family and friends to let them know.
It's been a long time coming, I'm sure everyone knows that. We've been together for 4 years, and have been living together for 3. My parents are thrilled, and his are as well. I've been having permagrin for most of the day. The ring is a diamond, but it's called a "raw" or "unfinished" diamond. It has a ton of occlusions, alot of brown and gray flecks in it. We picked it out at a jewelry store here in Philly and asked the guy to make us a ring. It came out exactly as I wanted it to. It doesn't look like a traditional ring, it's unique, and nobody thinks it's a diamond! Love it! Oh, and I'm petting my cat. That's why it looks like I have a pelt underneath my hand Haha!
So, that's the story - no date set, no place booked, nothing is planned. I hope to get the PhD before we walk down the aisle. All we know is that we'd like our family and friends to be there and that Randi's a matron. Of honor, of course. Haha! LYLAS!

1 comment:

Randi said...

We'll try to make it to the reception.
xoxo