Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Weather Woes

It's been quite the rollercoaster weather lately. It's now near 60 degrees (and it's 11am!) and let me tell you, it brings out the weirdos. Because of an early trip to the Dental School this morning, I was able to walk through campus to observe the native Penn students in the wild. Wow, what weather does to these kids. I am so glad I went to college in a place where the weather never changed too much, I never needed a jacket (although sometimes I wore one just for fun), I could wear whatever shoes I wanted (mostly flippers) and we could always go out on Fri/Sat night without a coat and without freezing too much. Here, the kids run the gamut. I saw boys in shorts and t-shirts and flip-flops, girls in mini-skirts, flippers and trench coats (stripper?), girls in short skirts, uggs-like boots, and puffy coats. There was a fair representation of jeans and t-shirts and many variations, but few were dressed appropriate for the weather. I have what I like to call the "winter fear". I am afraid to go without a coat because I think the weather might change at any minute (the weather people are often wrong!). So, I am without hat and scarf (they're still in my bag, tho) and I am wearing my winter down coat (not the knee length one, tho) mostly unbuttoned, jeans, t-shirt and sweater. It's cold in my lab, so I usually bundle up, even in the summer. On campus, it was so funny to see what people were wearing. There were the requisite sweats-tucked-into-uggs, clutching some book or notebook, looking terrified and rushing toward the library (midterms for freshmen). There were the girls in high heels, cute-I-just-bought-this-from-Bebe-outfits, the interesting spring "must haves" and the popped collars, argyle sweaters, and striped button down shirts that go with attending an Ivy League school. So silly...What are YOU wearing?

No comments: