Monday, November 17, 2008

Weekend Wrap Up

This past weekend sent Alex and I into suburbia, pretending to live in the vast outreaches of our grand old city. We rented a car and drove out to the western Philly 'burbs and then headed down to Dela-where? for some shopping. As we soon discovered, the only good thing about Delaware is that it has no sales tax. Meaning, the price tag on that thing is what you pay. How weird, right? The mall was filled with bored kids and over-wrought parents and old folks. We ate at Red Robin (not very good, by the way). And we checked out a sign that met us at the entrance to the mall saying that "Parental Guidance Required". I'm sorry, what? The sign basically said that kids under 17 years old were required to have a parent with them at all times. What a dumb rule! I think I started going to the mall alone (with Randi, of course) around 12 or 13 years old. It was a great way to get away from your parents, check out a bargain movie, and sift through each and every store in the mall 100 times. Seriously, I have NO idea how we spent an ENTIRE day at the teeny, tiny 'Splanade, but we did. And we had a blast. What are kids today supossed to do? Sit around and play video games? At least you're walking around in the mall. I feel really bad for kids growing up in Delaware. How boring. Anyways, after the mall, we hit the liquor store and then another mall w/ Target and Petsmart and all those great places. Then it was time for hibachi dinner (which was great, although he threw the shrimp at my cleavage instead of my mouth!) and then we saw the new Bond movie. The theatre was really, really nice - way fancier than anything we have here in the city. And I wasn't that surprised to pay $10.25 for a movie, since I thought the experience would be pretty fun - I mean, there's no other way to watch a James Bond flick than at the theatre, right? Luckily, we got into a later show so it wasn't too crowded. And the seats were super comfy and no one lit up their cell phone during the film (surprisingly) since there had to be 100 warnings to turn off your phone before the movie. The sound was kinda fucked up, but otherwise the film was excellent. Lots of violence and lots of noise. And damn if Daniel Craig is not the sexiest thing I've seen in a long time. They've finally given an opportunity to a female lead to have something to do with the plot, so I liked that the Bond girl was not a constant "damsel in distress". Altogether it was a good film, with great car chases and even a dogfight scene, which was pretty rad. As always, it hits a little to close to home and you wonder if that's how things operate in large first-world governments, but I try not to dwell on it too much. To sum up our trip to the 'burbs, it was a nice change from the status quo, but I am glad I live in the city. I think there's a more heterogenous population here, and I get to experience different things, as opposed to the chain restaurants and stores that spread all over the place. I'm sure we'll be back, but hopefully not soon :)
Oh, and BTW, whoever said a Ford Focus is a nice car is delusional. It does not even have headlights that illuminate the road in front of you! And it's so light, it's super squirrely on wet roads. No thank you!

No comments: