Monday, March 8, 2010

Alice in Wonderland


On Saturday, we were lucky enough to get into a showing of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. I really, really loved this movie. I must admit, it's been a long time since I've thought about anything Lewis Carroll related - I know I read the books with my mom ages ago, but I don't remember much about them. I am sure I saw the Disney movie several times, and I have definitely been on the Alice in Wonderland ride at Disneyland (wow...that's a whole other post!). I know that Burton and his screenwriters took liberties with the storyline, but I couldn't recall the original, so that was fine with me. The acting was phenomenal - what I would expect from Helena Bonham Carter, Johnny Depp, Anne Hathaway and Crispin Glover. The young Alice was also amazing - she embodied the perfect mix of awkward, unsure teenager, and confident, settled adult. The animated characters were quite well done - not distracting at all, and the scenery was very moody - going with the mood of the characters, so to speak. The cinematography was really amazing and the story line was so well done, I felt like standing up and cheering at the end. The movie is well done - not too long, not too short. The characters are well developed, and the message is quite clear. The only thing I would warn about is this movie is NOT for children. It's quite scary in parts, and altogether frightening in others. It is not your "feel good" kids movie. It has adult themes and an adult story line, and I heard many children in the theatre screaming or crying over the movie, which can't be good. We did not partake in the 3D phenomenon, so I couldn't tell you if it's worth the extra $5 or not. The scenery was beautiful, but I wasn't really willing to risk severe motion sickness over it. Altogether, go see this movie. I was so pleased.

No comments: